Thursday, January 19, 2012

Odd Shaped Scraps - What Do I Do With Them?

I was sitting in my sewing room looking at one of my many scrap fabric containers and thinking that I should set one of my new year goals to use up all of that scrap fabric.  I hate to throw away anything that can be repurposed, recycled or reused in another way, so I started to sort out the fabric in order to make a scrap quilt to donate to the local chapter of Project Linus.  They are always so grateful to receive any type of quilt whether it is a specific pattern or just something scrappy!  I think that is why I enjoy working with them so much.
After digging through the fabic scraps I placed the largest scrap on the floor and laid other scraps out around it until I thought it looked good and then I sewed them together.


I continued to add scraps around the edges until I came up with the size quilt I wanted, sewing the scraps into strips and then sewing the strips around the previous pieces.  Finally I added two wider strips of fabric around all the smaller pieces to frame out the quilt top and to get the size that I thought would work the best for a small child.  I don't always agree that the "standard sizes" you find in magazines and books is the right size.  I try to make the quilt and then lay it the size bed I am making it for to ensure it is the correct size.  This time, I didn't have a child/toddler or baby bed, so I eyed it.


This is the finished quilt top.  This project helped to clear out space in my fabric cabinet for new fabrics.  It is a lot of fun to use up the old and make way for the new! And it is a lot of fun making blankets for those in need.  I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did and are ready to attempt your own scrappy quilt top!

Happy Sewing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment