Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Curtain Panels - Dummy Panels

This is a simple project that I know you will enjoy.  It is amazing how adding curtains or dummy panels can change the look of a room.  In this project I made dummy panels to add a frame around my living room windows.  They are odd shaped and there is more wall space on one side of the window than the other and they are separated by a fire place.  In order to make that end of the room look balanced I made these panels to make the windows look larger than they are and to make them look symmetrical.

The fabric was originally 54" (4 1/2 ft wide) and I had 5 yards (15 ft) of fabric.  I cut the fabric in half making two pieces of fabric to work with.  I then cut the fabric down the length of the fabric making two 2 1/4 ft wide pieces.  At this, if you are using only one fabric, you will start hemming you panels.  I used two different fabrics for my curtains.  One that was floral, which is the primary portion of the panels, and one coordinating striped fabric, which I used for the top of the curtain panels.

I sewed the stripe to the floral by placing right sides together making it into one panel.  Then I pressed the seam down towards the floral pattern.  At this point I pressed a small 1/4" hem down both sides of the panel lengthwise and then folded and pressed a 1" hem.  You can make the hems any size you wan to, I just felt that this would like the way I wanted it to look. 

Sew down the hem using whatever stitch you want to use.  I used a blanket stitch on mine.  Next you will press down your hem on the top of the panel, then fold it over and stitch it \where you want.


After hemming all the edges, I wanted to add a little embellishment to the seam between the two fabrics to give the panel a finished look.  First I pinned the trip on and then I machine stitched it down.  You will want to stitch this very slowly if you are using your machine.




This is what they looked like once they were finished.




As usual, I hope I have inspired you to start your own home project.  Remember, these projects are simple, so get the kids involved!

Happy Sewing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment