Monday, May 30, 2011

The History of Quilting

The other night my son and I were reading a book that we had picked out at the local library titled “The Patchwork Path: A Quilt Map to Freedom,” by Bettye Stroud, and it made me wonder about the history of quilts.  In the book it talks about how each individual quilt block represented a specific sign or action that the runaway slaves were to look for or do in their journey to freedom.   This children’s book is based on a book written by Jacqueline Tobin and Dr. Raymond Dobard, “Hidden in Plain View: A Secret Story of Quilts and the Underground Railroad”, which I intend to check out and read immediately.

I was going to post information on the history of quilting, but there are already so many sites and articles available for you to find this information over the internet that I decided that instead of regurgitating information already available, I would make a list of websites that have the information regarding the early beginnings of quilting.  I am sure you will find them all very interesting.

The History of Quilting – This one is by far my favorite article. – PDF format



These are only a few sites that have quilting history. I have found that they all have similar information, but the one that I enjoyed the most was the PDF file.  I found that it not only provided information about the different types of quilts from our past, but it also provided pictures of the quilt patterns making this article more informative that the other sites that I have found and/or listed above.

This week we will be discussing quilting, what tools are needed to create a quilt and how to get started making your own quilts.  I hope you find this information useful and fun!

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment